Sergeant Richard Potter on left with Lt. Lawrence Satterfield on right. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
Group of Recon. personnel and their M8s preparing for a mission. Sergeant Richard Potter is fourth from the left. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
Two soldiers pose with one of the unit's M8 Greyhounds. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
The 774th took on occupational government duties and assisted with the thousands of displaced persons in the area. Although the history of the 774th does not provide details after VE Day, some of their men, including John G. Ott would be stationed at the Flak-Kaserne Barracks in Ludwigsburg Germany. These barracks were first used by the German Regiment 25 but from 1945 to 1948, it was used as a Nazi interment camp. From 1948 to 1950, as a refugee camp and home for a number of military units in the years thereafter. Photo courtesy of JoAnn Snowden Ott.
Shown is John G. Ott sitting front center on the hood of a truck with what looks like some type of work crew. Probably taken after the war while he was on occupational duties. Photo courtesy of JoAnn Snowden Ott.
Shown is the grave marker of Pvt. Wyley V. Sears of Telfair County, Georgia. He was a member of the 774th Tank Destroyer Battalion and was killed on December 16, 1944 and buried in the WWII Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial in Margraten, Netherlands. This photo was provided courtesy of Jos Baur who lives in Limburg, Holland and is part of their grave adoption program. As part of the program, Jos regularly brings flowers to the site in honor of Wyley's extreme sacrifice. Wyley had entered the service at Fort McPherson, GA, on March 5, 1942. He was born in 1917 and was probably 26 years old at the time of his death.
Shown is an M8, Light Armored Car, used by the TD units because of its excellent mobility. The main armament of the 774th was the 3 inch, towed gun, so the 37mm gun of the M8 was a good compliment. The organizational chart for the towed battalions. identifies that the Headquarters Company was equipped with 4, of the M8s. They were also provided with 4, of the M20s, which did not have the main 37mm gun but only a .50 cal machine gun. The M20 was used primarily as a command, reconnaissance or transport vehicle. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
A soldier stands at Soldiers' Field Pool and Stadium. At the time, the facilities were being administered by the Third Army as evidenced by the Army's logo on the wall. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
Shown is two soldiers sitting on an M20, Armored Car, and a motorcycle. Both were issued to the each of the individual companies with the majority going to the Headquarters Company. Each was used for more for their command, reconnaissance and transport qualities rather than protection of the unit. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
A group of men in their Jeeps. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
The M8 played a vital role in many of the Tank Destroyer units for reconnaissance and transport of staff personnel. This particular unit was named "Rachel". Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
One of the unit's tank destroyers, in full camouflage netting, making it difficult to see from the air. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
A platoon of men from the 774th, posing with their M8, Armored Cars. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
Personal equipment inspection, possibly prior to a change of station or some type of exercise. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.
A group of M8 and M20 armored vehicles looks like they are preparing to move out. Photo courtesy of Larry Potter.