A few weeks after arriving at Camp Phillips, Kansas, the unit was directed to Devils Lake, North Dakota, to assist with the record wheat crop of 1943. The men traveled over 700 miles to reach their destination. There was a critical shortage of civilian labor and the men were needed to harvest wheat. The men were broken into small groups and spread over cities including Cando, Roullette, New Rockford, Rugby and other cities in the wheat belt. The Battalion Headquarters was established in the War Memorial Building in Devils Lake. The men produced enough wheat to supply every man, woman and child in the United States with one loaf of bread. After the harvert was completed, the men traveled back to Camp Phillips. The accomplishments of the unit were related in the local newspapers.
A photo from the actual wheat harvest in late summer of 1943.
Another photo from the actual wheat harvest in late summer of 1943.
A third photo from the actual wheat harvest in late summer of 1943.
A program identifying that on September 19, 1943, a special service was held at the Municipal Auditorium in Devils Lake, North Dakota, to say a final farewell to the troops and recognize the accomplishments of the 825th TD Battalion. Chaplain Harry W. Webster is listed as the Chairman for the service.
Shown is Sgt. Vester Lowe, Sgt. John G. Armstrong, Sgt. Martin Hauser and Sgt. Jonas Whaley. Each of these men were leaders in their respective squads of A Company and were involved in actions against German forces near the river bridge at Stavelot, Belgium on December 18, 1944. Of the group, all would escape except Armstrong who was killed and received the Silver Star and Purple Heart. Photo courtesy of Serge Lemaire.
A photo from the unit's reunion in 2000, which is believed to be the last one that Frances Doherty (wife of Company A, 1st Platoon Commander, 1st Lt. Jack Doherty) attended. She is pictured front left with Annie Mae Christian (wife of HQ Company's Pfc. Hewell L. Christian) on right. In the background on far left is William M. "Bill" Lady Jr., talking to Col. Clayton Weist and them on far right is Jack Owen talking to Bill Lady's son. Photo courtesy of Mary Hodson.
A photo of Cpl. Maurice A. Hunt, seated center back, with a few other military friends at the Bismarck Hotel in Chicago, Illinois. Hunt entered the service on August 25, 1942, at Portland, Maine, which was also his home. Hunt received medical training and served with the 825th Tank Destroyer as part of their Medical Detachment.
A photo of Lou Celentano helping with the wheat harvest while the 825th was in North Dakota. Photo courtesy of Mary Hodson.
A photo of Sgt. Martin Hauser and Sgt. John Scibelli while they were stationed at Fort Mieding, after the war. Fort Mieding was named after the unit's commanding officer, Lt. Col. Rudolph H. Mieding and was located at Wiesbaden-Schierstein, Germany, which was within eyesight of the Rhine River. The facilities were formally a training school for Nazi SS troops and provided modern military quarters and recreation, for the men. Both Hauser and Scibelli served in A Company and both had been wounded and received Purple Hearts. Scibelli was wounded a second time and received the Oak Leaf Cluster signifying his second Purple Heart. Hauser was also awarded the Bronze Star. Photo courtesy of Lou Celentano and Mary Hodson.