812th Tank Destroyer Battalion

Unit History:  Formed on April 10, 1942, at Camp Gordon, GA, as a Heavy Self-Propelled unit.  Deactivated on Nov. 28. 1944, at Fort Jackson, SC, and redesignated as 812th Tank Battalion.

Combat Equipment:  N/A

Commanding Officers:  Lt. Col. Henry B. Margeson (1/1/43);  Major Frank L. Allen (2/8/43);  Lt. Col. William V. Martz (6/7/43);  Capt. H. M. Byorum (6/19/43);  Major L. M. Etherton (6/28/43)

Code Name/s:  N/A

Campaign Credits:   Continental U.S. Service Only

Awards:  None

Additional Information/Materials:

The following documents are from the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library, Museum and Boyhood Home, Abilene, Kansas.

1.)  Unit History, 1943..............................................2 Pages

2.)  The Observation Post-a small newletter published while the unit was stationed at Camp Bowie, Texas.

      Jan. 23, 1943....................................................4 Pages

      Jan. 30, 1943....................................................4 Pages

      Feb. 6, 1943......................................................4 Pages

3.) Service Company Group Photo - Taken on October 5, 1945, which was eleven months after the unit had been redesignated as a tank battalion.  As of August, 1945, the unit was still at Fort Jackson so they were probably there for this photo also.  Courtesy of Donald E. Gardner.

4.) Photo Gallery

5.) Transfer Orders - Personnel from Camp Gordon, GA to Fort Hood, TX for the Enlisted Pioneer Course at the Tank Destroyer School, dated September 3, 1942. Documents courtesy of Chip Hank.