|Bensink, Harvey W. (817th)|
|People - Honorees|
Harvey W. Bensink
Biography: Harvey W. Bensink was born on December 29, 1920 in Clymer, NY. He was the son of Fred G. Bensink and Clara Fox Bensink and attended Clymer Central High School, graduating in 1939. Prior to his entry into the service, he worked at various jobs including an oil tank driver, a school bus driver and a factory worker.
Service Time: Harvey was assigned to the Headquarters Company of the 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion and trained with them at various locations throughout the U.S. including Camp Bowie and Camp Hood, TX, Camp Campbell and Camp Breckenridge, KY, and Camp Miles Standish, MA.
Harvey continued with the unit, landing at Grenock, Scotland and at Utah Beach in Normandy, France. As a towed battalion, the unit made their presence known throughout France, Belgium and Germany and participated in actions in the Hürtgen Forest, the Rhine and Roer Rivers as well as the Harz Mountains. The unit received credit for Campaigns in Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe.
Harvey received the EAME Medal, WWII Victory Medal, American Service Medal and the Good Conduct Medal. He left the service at the rank of Technician 4th Grade.
When he returned the states, he went to work as a mechanic but later became a Dealer for John Deere Tractor. On August 27, 1946, Harvey married the former Beatrice Marie Hamilton of Busti, NY. She was the daughter of Ira Earl Hamilton and Charlotte Sandbury Hamilton. The couple would have two daughters, Gail born in 1947 and Margaret born in 1958.
In his spare time, Harvey enjoyed photography and researching genealogies. He was a member of the American Legion, the Volunteer Fire Company, the Town Council and was on the Board of Trusties for the Methodist Church. Harvey passed away on August 11, 2002 and was buried in Clymer, NY.
I want to thank Harvey's daughter Gail for providing the information and photo of her father. In the photos below, you can see Harvey standing proudly with his M18 Hellcat named "Allegheny Avenger II" and also sitting on it's 76mm gun. Note the ruins in the background of Halle Germany. The 817th had only received their M18s in April of 1945.
|Last Updated on Monday, 30 July 2012 04:52|